Tues, Apr 1 Introduction: Liberalism, the Public and the Private
PART I: Theories of Liberalism
Thur, Apr 3 - Classical Liberalism:
- Mill, On Liberty, Book I (pp. 1-19)
- Mill, On Liberty, Book IV (pp.83-103)
- Warren and Brandeis, “The Right to Privacy”
- Rawls, Justice as Fairness, Part I (pp.1-29)
- Rawls, Parts I and II (pp.29-66)
Tues, Apr 22
- Rawls, Part III (pp.80-93, 130-134), IV (pp.153-157, 168-176), V (pp.180-202)
- Pogge, “World Poverty and Human Rights”
- Nagel, “The Problem of Global Justice”
- Hayek, “The Use of Knowledge in Society”
- Hayek, “Liberalism”
- Rorty, “The Priority of Democracy to Philosophy”
- Rorty, “Moral Identity and Private Autonomy”
Part II: Critics of Liberalism
Tues, May 6 - Genealogical Critics:
- Foucault, Discipline and Punish (pp.3-31)
- Foucault (pp.135-169 + skim pp.32-134)
- Foucault (pp.170, 184-194; pp.195-228)
- Foucault (pp.264-285; pp.293-308)
- Young, Justice & the Politics of Difference, Intro + Chap. 1 (pp.3-38)
- Young, selections from Chaps. 2 and 3 (pp.39-48, 63-65, 66-70, 76-88)
- cf. Rawls, Justice as Fairness, Part IV §§50-52 (pp.162-178)
- Young, Chapter 4 (pp.96-121)
- cf. Young, selections from Chaps. 6 and 8 (183-191, 232-234, 236-241, 248-251)
- Emma Goldman, "Anarchism: What It Really Stands For" (online)
- Karl Marx, "On the Jewish Question" (online)
- Fraser, “Solidarity or Singularity: Rorty…” (1988)
- Rorty, “Feminism and Pragmatism” (1990)
- Fraser, “From Irony to Prophecy to Politics” (1991)
- Rorty, “Is ‘Cultural Recognition’ Useful? ...” (2000)
- Fraser, “Why Overcoming Prejudice is Not Enough…” (2000)
No comments:
Post a Comment